Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Not a Real Job... Feels Like Real Work!

I have this conversation a lot... so when are you at work? Where do you work? When are you getting a real job?

Honestly, it is rare that I am not at work, though work is a bit nebulous lately. I'm not alone in the economic challenges that everyone has and I've always had more than one job. They all meet particular needs for me, and none are in the same location! I drive a lot. I think about now, I can possible add "mapping skills" to my resume!!!

Working at the Arts Council has been very rewarding. There are a lot of details to follow up on, my marketing and programming skills are really put to the test. Possibly one of the most difficult pills for me in this one is having to be a public person. It is important for my position to be prominent, productive, integrated and present in a variety of situations. We use public funds, are constantly fundraising, work with a variety of other community organizations and while everyone enjoys the arts not everyone understands the depth that the arts play in all paths of life. The creative economy includes films, advertising, marketing, music, performance, visual arts, crafts, visual representation (how your mind includes the information presented), journalism and arts education. A productive arts community will attract new businesses, support established commerce and housing, create innovative approaches to the workforce and support a healthy environment for neighborhoods. There is a lot of data to support these facts and I have most of these bookmarked on my computer for sourcing in grantwriting, speeches and presentations, workshops and any political schmooze opps! And Rockingham County is no exception to any of the data. I believe this rural county can benefit from more inclusion and recognition of the Arts Council and the central support of the RCAC for the county. Some of the arts organizations remain competitive but as the years have progressed and there have been more collaborative efforts, i believe everyone is benefiting and any divisions are becoming very gray and fuzzy.
Handwoven Scarf on the loom at my studio.

My studio has been a haven for so many of my projects though lately studio time has been absorbed by my term as board president of the Art District. The location of our studio has been an important part of the WinstonSalem arts community. I believe in the process of group organizations and DADA, the Downtown Art District Association, and the community is coming together, the organization is in compliance now and the committees have taken on good projects with strong initiative.

Marbled papers drying
And the side jobs. Teaching is that now, though I still enjoy it as much as ever. The DADA Collective should be much more productive to continue working in schools with underprivileged and underserved groups- time to get those grant proposals together! Adding DADA Collective adult classes will be great fun too. And working with the POWAR! positive graffiti project is something I am really excited to have on my calendar!  The Mixed Media classes at the Art Alliance has been very inspiring.. I've been fortunate to have wonderful students, small classes and and enthusiastic atmosphere in this one!

Something new, along side the grantwriting, I've taken on some part-time work with a Search Engine Optimization company. The writing work  for SEOHaus has been very different. While I used to write for radio- advertising, press releases, commercials, etc. there are specific parts to this writing that makes it very much like a puzzle. And I do like puzzles! Specific words are used, different subjects are part of the surprise (I've learned about things I never knew were there!) and it's been a great way to work on my writing skills. And listening to the whole process of development from the sales staff has been a real treat. When working in radio, the sales staff was so competitive and over-stressed. This sales group is almost always polite, helpful and friendly. That makes a huge difference. I've taken a kind of leave for a bit and hope they'll still need help in March when the grantwriting is done.

So yep, I do work. I do have bills to pay and I do my best, and since it is Wednesday I'll be in WinstonSalem at the studio weaving, going to meetings and working on Art District stuff. Thursday and Friday, back at the Arts Council. And in the mornings finishing up the last assignments I have for the 'Haus.

Full weeks for sure, but I did take off "work" yesterday afternoon and had a great time for my birthday. Nothing like a Quentin Tarentino movie to poke reality! That was a lot of exploding goo!!! 

No comments: