Friday, January 25, 2013

Meeting Art on the Internet- How Social Media Increases Your Artistic Opportunities

Mouthful of title, huh!
Several things inspire me to work on this entry.
I have several jobs and many parts have common threads that flow into a relatively unified and cohesive river of life! Some merge as SEO options for artists.

As I am working on grant proposals for two non-profit organizations I work with, RCAC and DADA,  I find that within the narrative I need to qualify the contribution of art to economic prosperity, the significance and existence of the creative workforce in the small towns I'm currently living and working in and ways that collaboration within groups achieve positive effects for social interaction, jobs and an enhanced quality of living. Needless to say, I rely on a thesaurus, urban dictionary and a few other special resources to give this type of narrative a vivid life on a page that easily reverts into a sea of words with too many adjectives.

Some of the common threads I work with are woven into the need to ignite financial rewards. While many artists are working to inspire society, share composition and color, present a personal view and release creative energy, another basic need is income; cash- sales- grant funding- money.

I find the most reward when I have funding for a work I created that someone loves and finds value within the piece's existence--- and they purchase it. I am not as thrilled when someone feels "this will be ok" or "will do" and I get the same price for the piece but there is a great value in the emotional sale of a piece of work. Enter the proper demographic information here.

Building an audience that views your work by choice and not by too-aggressive advertising (ever been trapped in a car with only commercial radio?!!) Blogging, social media and newsletters are a big part of finding that audience. Using Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest and other social media can help people connect with you, your work, your exhibits, your sales and your colleagues that also share their work and professional information. With many of the apps that allow linked posts, sharing your info is simplified by cross-posting, scheduling release of posts and managing on your computer and smartphone (a great business investment for artists. I'll share some ways it simplifies your record keeping and more later.)

While I've always learned tons working in advertising jobs (radio, SEOHaus , ODesk  and other search engine optimization firms, realizing that funds keep your art alive, fresh and a productive part of everyday life as an artist connects these business approaches to realistically working as a productive artist. Whether you take this part of your art production on yourself (the whole concept is very visual and remains interesting to find out how online networking links to  the many ways art works in society) or find a professional in the area to maintain your connections, an audience may be waiting to find you. Throw them a bone

No comments: